UPDATE 2-25-08: Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Reader users should install Adobe's new 8.1.2 update immediately to protect themselves from potential software vulnerabilities, according to ITS Security Operations and Services (SOS). If you are currently in the Enterprise Network (AG domain), IT will automatically update Adobe Reader on your computer starting Wednesday February 27th. Your computer will receive the update the first time it is available on the network. You do not need to leave your computer in the office that evening.
UPDATE 2-20-08: According to the following PSU ITS Alert, "The University has experienced a large number of incidents related to a type of PDF-based hostile code that has been circulating through the use of vulnerable (pre 8.1.2.) versions of Acrobat and Reader software. When users open the infected PDF file it downloads a variant of the "Zonebac" trojan horse, resulting in control of the individual's computer system. The code also attempts to render all antivirus applications inoperable."
Adobe Reader is installed on all Enterprise computers. All College faculty and staff are encouraged to update their Adobe Reader software to this version.
Please see our How To Install and Configure Adobe Reader for Windows for steps on updating Adobe Reader to the current version.
Quick tip: If you already have version 8 of Adobe Reader installed (from the Help menu choose About Adobe Reader to see the version), follow these steps to apply the update.
- From the Help menu choose Check for Updates.
- If updates were found, they should begin to download.
If not, click the Download and Install Updates button.
- At this point, you can click the Adobe Reader window to make it active, then Exit Acrobat Reader. If you don't exit Adobe Reader, the updater will prompt you to shut down Adobe Reader by clicking Continue.
- When the update finishes downloading, click Install Now.
Note: The Installation Progress window may be minimized to the lower right of the screen (in the notification tray). To see the Installation Progress window, right click on its white icon and choose Show Progress.
- Wait for the update to be applied. When the process completes, click Quit.